44 Main Street
Provide access to information via many and varied media sources including print and electronic sources with emphasis on children's programs and books, adult recreational books, and programs encouraging adult reading.
The Hurley Library is chartered to primarily serve the residents of districts 2, 4, 6, and 8 of the Town of Hurley. In addition, it does offer support services to any cardholding member of the Mid-Hudson Library System.
Hurley was without a library until Dr. Harry McNamara moved to Hurley and launched a campaign that led to the opening of the library in 1958. He spear-headed a committee that was composed of representatives from various town organizations including the Grange, Fire Company Auxiliary, Home Bureau, Lions Club, and others.
In 1962 the library joined the Mid-Hudson Library System and benefited from its services. At this time the library was still completely run by volunteers. It was not until 1963 that a person was hired to be available the 17 hours a week the library was open. Story hours and reading programs for children began.
At the present time the library has a part-time director, a part-time library clerk, and a part-time story hour coordinator. The library offers two story hours a week, a summer reading program, two adult book groups, a knitting group, computer classes, library instruction workshops, local history programs, in-library and electronic reference services, and ongoing volunteer opportunities. The library is automated and offers Internet access for its patrons. The emphasis on customer service, recreational reading and children's books remains the same.