The Art League of Marion was established in June, 1974, as an affiliate of the YMCA. The Art League was formed to provide exposure for local talent in all areas of arts and crafts.
The founding members, in cooperation with the Virginia Division of State Parks, held the first annual Hungry Mother Arts and Crafts Festival in July, 1974.
This first, successful festival grew in attendance from approximately 12,000 visitors in 1976 to nearly 25,000 during it's 32nd anniversary in 2005.
Profits from the festival have allowed the Art League to support the arts in Smyth County and surrounding areas. The League support includes the following:
- Annual scholarships to deserving high school and college students.
- Yearly donations to the William King Van Gogh Outreach Program.
- Monies to two local amateur drama organizations.
- Sponsorship of an annual high school art show.
- Participation in a local highway beautification program.
- Purchase of art supplies for local schools, hospitals and day care centers.
- Financial support of the Lincoln Theater Foundation.
The Art League of Marion will continue to be an active organization and supporter of the arts in our community for many years to come.
Monday, Aug 9, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday, Aug 9, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Monday, Aug 9, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR