Horry county Memorial Library - Aynor Branch Library
500 9th Avenue
The first library in Aynor was opened July 1941 in the old Masonic Building on Ninth Avenue and Main Street by the Works Progress Administration. The library was called the Aynor Free Public Library. Mrs. Sophie R. Blanton, Works Progress Administration Regional Library Supervisor, was instrumental in getting this library started. However, the WPA project was ended in March 1942 and the books were transferred to the Aynor High School Library.
During the 1950's Mrs. Thelma Thomas, a member of the Horry County Library Commission, encouraged Aynor citizens to start a new branch library. The books were returned from the high school and the Aynor Library again opened in the old Masonic Building. Mrs. W. M. Gerald was appointed library clerk and the library was kept open two afternoons each week. In 1953, the library was relocated into a small part of the H. C. Lewis building. In June 1954, the Aynor Public Library became a branch of the Horry County Memorial Library. Miss Dorothy Smith, County Librarian at that time, transferred the books to a building on North Main Street and 8th Avenue. In 1962, a new location was secured in the P. B. Huggins building