12 Locust Street
The Hampton County Library was organized in 1936 with the assistance of the Works Progress Administration. The library was first housed in the Methodist Sunday School but in 1941 moved into the new county agricultural building which provided two rooms for the library.
Library service in Hampton County owes much to Miss Izora Miley who, as Hampton County Home Demonstration Agent, was largely responsible for fostering and keeping alive the idea of public library service throughout the county. For ten years before the library was established, Miss Izora carried books in her own car to isolated rural communities. Wherever she went she encouraged reading and the use of books. When the Hampton Library was organized, she became a member of the board of the library and furthered every effort to improve and extend public library service in Hampton County and in the region. In 1976 when the handsome new Hampton County Library headquarters building was dedicated, Miss Izora was the guest of honor. The building was constructed on a piece of choice property in downtown Hampton which she had donated to the county as the site of the new library building.