9 Mary East Clark Drive
About Us :
The Hampstead Public Library endeavors to serve your informational, recreational, and educational needs.
Dr. Josiah C. Eastman, in 1849, representing Hampstead in the Legislature, introduced a bill entitled "An act providing for the establishment of public libraries" which was signed by the governor shortly thereafter. This act provided that any town in this state at any legal meeting may raise and appropriate monies for the establishment and maintenance of a public library. It also stated that any such library establishment would be free to every inhabitant of that town.
In 1797 Hampstead had a "social library". Later the Sunday School Library at the Congregational Church was the source of fictional reading for both children and adults. Nearly fifty years after Dr. Eastman introduced his bill Hampstead acted to establish a town library. The first Hampstead Public Library was opened in 1888 in the brick house on Main Street opposite Heath Road. Willard F. Williams was the owner of the house at the time and he was appointed the first librarian. A branch of the library was maintained in East Hampstead for forty years under the care of Mrs. Mary B. Darbe.