Gaston Park Branch Library
1040 South Third Street
The site of the John Gaston home was used to build a community center in 1933. In 1978 the center was refurbished and a Headstart center and a community library were added. The 5,100 sq. ft. Gaston Park Library was built with federal and municipal funds. Its initial design differed from other libraries in the region in that it did not include meeting room space, a staff workroom, or exterior windows.
In 1990, the library was renovated at a cost of $81,000. The collection was enhanced, a new meeting room was added, the shelving was redesigned to provide a more visually appealing atmosphere, and computer workstations were added.