Fort Washington Branch Library
535 West 179th Street
When the Fort Washington Branch celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1989, several well-known personalities, including Henry Kissinger and journalist/author Edwin Newman, fondly recalled how important the branch was to them as teenagers. Among the many other noted residents this branch has served are Lou Gehrig, Maria Callas, Ralph Ellison, Marianne Moore, and Jacob Javits. Built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, Fort Washington opened to the public in April 1914 in its present location, two blocks east of the George Washington Bridge. Today the branch continues to be a valuable resource to the community. It houses the largest collection of reference materials in northern Manhattan and has book collections in Spanish, Russian, and other languages available for borrowing.