The Five Civilized Tribes Museum is a museum dedicated to preserving the art, history and culture of the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Muscogee (Creek) and Seminole tribes. It is located in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
The United States Government built the Union Indian Agency in 1875. It was built of native stone and was to serve as the Five Civilized Tribes Superintendency.
Governments for the tribes were scattered between Tahlequah, Boggy Depot, Wewoka and a site northwest of Agency Hill. Consolidation was advantageous for all the tribes so the land for the agency was transferred from the Creek Nation to the U.S. Government.
The first agent to bring his family to the new building was Rev. W.S Marston. He and his family resided upstairs while the first floor was used for agency business.
From 1878 until 1891, when the property was purchased by the Creek Nation, the building served as a school and orphanage for children of Creek Freedmen.
The City of Muskogee acquired ownership in 1907 for park purposes. In the course of the next 37 years, the building was used as a dance hall, tea rooms and offices for the American Legion. After renovation in 1920, the Agency was re-named the "Chateau." In 1944, the City of Muskogee returned the property to the government to be used as a Veterans Hospital. However the building was returned to the City of Muskogee in 1954 following passage of a favorable Congressional bill.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR