Once a state forest, 838-acre Findley State Park is heavily wooded with stately pines and various hardwoods. The scenic hiking trails allow nature lovers to view spectacular wildflowers and observe wildlife. The fields, forests and quiet waters offer a peaceful refuge for visitors.
Long before the first settlers arrived in this area, the Erie Indians inhabited the area now known as Lorain County. Although the Eries were fierce warriors, they were eventually subdued by a confederation formed between other Iroquois tribes in the early 1600s using firearms obtained from the Dutch
In 1795, the Treaty of Greenville set aside the lands north of the treaty line as a reserve for Indians. Much of the land restricted by the treaty had previously been granted to Connecticut. This claim, known as the Connecticut Western Reserve, ran along Lake Erie from the Pennsylvania border to present-day Erie County and included more than 3.5 million acres. The Connecticut Land Company, after purchasing some of the land, disputed the Indian claims and petitioned the government for the right to establish settlements on Indian lands. In 1800, Connecticut and the Congress agreed to attach the lands in dispute to the Ohio Territory as a county.
The threat of Indians still existed in the area, so settlement was slow. In 1807, a major settlement was established at the mouth of the Black River which later became the city of Lorain. That same year, the Connecticut Land Company sold 4,000 acres of land of what was to become Wellington Township to four men from Berkshire County, Massachusetts. In the winter of 1818 the four men were joined by William T. Welling of Montgomery County, New York. Following an Indian trail, they cut their way through to the area that became known as Wellington.
Wellington today has a rich heritage. Almost seventy-five percent of the downtown district is included on the National Register of Historic Places, reflecting the New England influence in the architecture. Many industries flourished during the mid-1800s, most notably brickyards, wagon and carriage shops. Later, it shared the reputation of being one of the greatest cheese producing locations in the Union. Lorain County generated annually the equivalent of one pound of cheese for each man, woman and child in the state. Wellington was also the home of Archibald M. Willard, painter of the classic "Spirit of 76". A copy of the work and many Willard originals hang in the town library.
The campground offers 257 total campsites.
151 non-electric sites (59 are walk-in)
91 electric sites (two are ADA compliant)
15 full service sites (three are ADA compliant)
Showers, flush toilets, laundry facilities, dump station, camp store
Pets are permitted on all sites
Playground equipment, and a recreation area with sand volleyball, a basketball court and two horseshoe pits are available for camper use
Nature center located in the campground
Two walk-in, organized group camp areas accommodate up to 40 people. Contact the park office for details.
Boats with electric motors only are permitted on the 93-acre lake. Two launch ramps provide access. Kayaks, canoes, and rowboats can be rented at the beach building Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays - (440) 647-2870.
18-hole course. Rental equipment is available. No fee is charged to play.
The lake is well stocked with largemouth bass, bluegill and crappie. A valid Ohio fishing license is required.
Hunting for migratory waterfowl is permitted in designated areas of the park. Hunting is permitted in two nearby Wildlife Areas, Wellington State Wildlife Area and Spencer State Wildlife Area. A valid Ohio hunting license is required.
Several picnic areas are located in scenic areas around the park. Two shelterhouses complete with electricity can be reserved online or by calling (866) 644-6727.
The park features a 435-foot beach with a concession stand. Swimming is permitted in designated areas. Please exercise caution while swimming at the beach. Pets are NOT permitted on swimming beaches.
Approximately 16 miles of hiking/biking trails traverse the park. Mountain biking is permitted on all trails, weather permitting. Bicycle helmets are highly recommended.
Black Locust Trail - 0.4 Miles - Easy
Creekbank Trail - 1/2 Mile - Easy
Hickory Grove Trail - 1.1 Miles - Easy
Lake Trail - 1/2 Mile - Easy
Larch Trail - 1.1 Miles - Easy
Spillway Trail - 0.8 Miles - Easy
Wyandot Trail - 1 Mile - Easy
The Thorn Mountain Bike Trail is an 11-mile loop that attracts both expert riders for its technical climbs and novice bikers for its relatively flat middle section between the dam and campground area.
Bicycle helmets are recommended.
Level terrain through heavily wooded areas as well as steep short climbs, fast winding sections, bank turns and north shore obstacles (novice riders can by-pass these areas)
Accessed from many locations throughout the park; the official start is at the north end of the park at the dam parking lot.
The riding direction is clockwise only.
The Buckeye Trail passes through the park; 1.6 miles, ranging from easy to difficult.
In the proper conditions, park visitors can enjoy ice skating, ice fishing, and cross-country skiing.
Tuesday, Jun 2, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern Time
Thursday, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern Time
Friday, Jun 5, 2020 at 8:00pm Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR