Many rail company mergers and reorganizations occurred from the late 1860’s until June 1894, when this line adjacent to Fairfax Station became part of the mighty Southern Railway. Southern operated this rail station very successfully until late in the 1950’s when automobile travel and trucking companies started taking more and more passenger and freight business away from the rail line. By 1973, Southern Railway no longer operated this rail station profitably and closed the station, which was the last operating railroad station in Fairfax County.
In 1975 a group of concerned citizens began efforts to save the old depot. With Southern Railway's donation of the building and financial and volunteer assistance from local groups, the Friends of Fairfax Station, Inc. reconstructed the station on donated land just up the hill from the original site. It now serves both as a museum of Civil War, railroad, and local history and as a bustling community center.
The museum houses Civil War, Red Cross, and historic railroading memorabilia as well as a variety of artifacts found in and around the old station. In more recent years, many donors have added to the historic items in the museum.
In 1975 a group of concerned citizens headed by Lena Wyckoff and the Clifton Community Woman’s Club began efforts to save the old depot.
Saturday, Jan 25, 2020 at 10:00am
Luther Jackson Middle School
Falls Church, VA
Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 5:00pm
GMU Center for the Arts Concert Art
Tuesday, Feb 4, 2020 at 11:30am
Paradiso Italian Restaurant
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR