1201 25th Street
Ensley established the first free public library in Jefferson County, Alabama on July 12, 1906 with more than 2,000 people attending the grand opening. In 1911, the Ensley Library became a branch of the Birmingham Public Library.
On June 26, 1955, a new ultra-modern building was opened offering air conditioning, a meeting room and a children’s area. The design for this building won first honor of the American Institute of Architects.
This library was closed in 2004 to bring it into ADA compliance, to upgrade the HVAC system and for cosmetic remodeling. The library reopened October 9, 2005.