18400 Joy Road
Named in honor of Thomas A. Edison, the Edison Branch originally opened December 9, 1948, in a rented storefront overlooking the Southfield expressway. The present building opened on January 24, 1955 with a ceremony attended by Mayor Albert E. Cobo, City Council President Louis C. Miriani, Detroit Edison President Walker L. Cisler, and members of the Library Commission. In the fall of 1969, the building was expanded to the west and north. The expansion resulted in additional room for the adult non-fiction collection and a new larger Children's Room.
The Edison Branch offers programs for all ages from pre-school to adults. Programs offered include family storytime,and crafts. This branch has an excellent collection of adult and juvenile books, including bestsellers,and an extensive African-American collection.