5 Oporto-Madrid Boulevard
The East Lake Library, first located above the East Lake Fire Station in a small 25 x 50 foot room, opened its doors in 1914. The library became the fourth branch of the Birmingham Public Library and moved to its current location in 1927. The library branch was the hub of the north east community serving residents and Howard College students. A beautiful mural painted by Carrie Hill featuring fairy tale characters was hung in the children's area in 1937. The library was renovated in 1997.