Dixie State College of Utah
225 South 700 East
The institution was started by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on September 19, 1911, under the name "St. George Stake Academy". In 1916, the academy became "Dixie Normal College", and then in 1923 the name was changed to "Dixie Junior College". In 1933 the LDS Church discontinued its support of the College until it reinstated support in 1935 and combined it with parochial grammar and secondary school education. In 1970, the school became "Dixie College", then in 2000 it became "Dixie State College of Utah" when the Utah State Legislature granted the college baccalaureate degree status. When the school first opened its doors, there were only 42 students. In 2000, when the college became a four-year college, enrollment had reached approximately 7,000 students.
On the morning of Friday, September 7, 2007, Dixie State College Board of Trustees members announced that Dixie State College of Utah will petition the University of Utah to become the University of Utah-St. George. The proposal was approved by the Dixie State College Board of Trustees on October 7, 2007, and by the University of Utah Board of Trustees on October 14, 2007. The two institutions will form a task force to define the parameters of an enhanced affiliation, to be approved by both Trustee boards, the Utah State Board of Regents, and the Utah State Legislature. The process was expected to be complete in 2009.
The primary campus of Dixie State College of Utah is located in St. George, Utah, with the Hurricane Education Center campus extension located in Hurricane, Utah.