Currently a museum housing eight galleries and exhibits, the DeLand Memorial Hospital was originally built to serve the growing needs of a population expanded by the land boom era. In 1920, its cornerstone was placed, and in 1922 the completed building was dedicated to the service men of WWI.
In 1926, the smaller Burgess Building was built behind the main hospital to care for the needs of the Black community. Both facilities continued to provide surgical and obstetrical services until 1948 when hospital services were transferred to the former DeLand Naval Air Station awaiting the opening of Fish Memorial Hospital in 1952.
The hospital building remained functional for other purposes during the years following its closure as a medical facility. For a short time, it was used by Stetson University as a fraternity house. Then, for several years, it housed the administrative offices of the public school system.
Eventually, the building became empty and fell into severe disrepair. However, as a result of a grant from the Florida State Historic Preservation Board, the hospital was restored and rededicated on April 17, 1993 and is now listed in the Registry of Historic Buildings.
Today, the hospital contains not only the offices of the DeLand Parks and Recreation Department, but also the Bert Fish Room, as well as the Operating Room & Apothecary exhibit, the Veterans Gallery and the Ice & Electric exhibit. The Burgess Building houses the Hawtense Conrad Elephant Fantasyland, the West Volusia Black Heritage Gallery and Conrad's Toyland.
Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 2:00pm Eastern Time
Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:00pm Eastern Time
Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 1:00pm Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR