Council Grove Public Library
829 West Main Street
History Of Council Groves Library
The first library was suggested by Miss Mamie Miller in 1876 and the first meeting of the proposed Library Society was held at the John Maloy home. Each person attending donated a book for the little library, which was established in the home of W. A. McCollum, first minister of the Congressional Church. In 1881 the library came into the possession of the A.O.U.W. Lodge until it was destroyed by fire in 1886. Later, Messrs. White and Barth gave the upper rooms of their stone store building to the ladies of the T.P.M. Club to be used as a club room and reading room.
Thanks to a donation from the Carnegie Foundation, construction on the 303 W. Main building was started in 1916. The library moved to its current location, 829 W. Main St., in May of 2002. The new facility is handicapped accessible and computer friendly.