1410 North 12th Street
The North Washington Branch of the Public Libraries of Saginaw was opened in 1957 in one room of the old Moton Terrace housing project administration building at 1415 N. Twelfth, directly across from the First Ward Community Center.
As soon as the branch opened, it became evident that the 18' by 24' room would not be adequate and we requested that the remainder of the building be assigned to the library. With the help of Library Commissioner Paul Wendler, who was also on the City Council, and Edward Potthoff, City Manager, permission to use the space was granted by the City early in l962.
In July of 1962, the Saginaw Library Commission approved a change of name from North Washington Branch to the Archer A. Claytor Branch in honor of Dr. Claytor in recognition of his high standing in the African-American community and in the City of Saginaw as a whole
In 1977, the library building burned and library services operated out of an apartment in one of the housing projects until the new First Ward Community Center building was built. Since l980, the Archer A. Claytor Library has been located in the lower level of the First Ward Community Center, 1410 N. Twelfth. In l987, on the 30th anniversary of the library, a wall display with photographs and memorabilia from Dr. Archer ClaytorÂ´s life was dedicated to his memory.