Chartered by the General Assembly of Kentucky on February 5,1848 for the purpose of operating a rural cemetery. Cave Hill was dedicated in July of that year and the transition of Cave Hill Farm into a beautiful and historic cemetery began.
Like any pioneer, when William Johnston decided to build a brick house in the countryside of the fledging town of Louisville, he first searched for a good spring. He found one that helped feed Beargrass Creek, emanating from a large cave that kept it well protected.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR