This small 10-acre park on the west side of Catawba Island offers access to Lake Erie.
Prior to the War of 1812, the Lake Erie Island region had been occupied by Ottawa and Huron (Wyandot) Indian tribes at different times throughout the years. A testimony to their existence on the islands is carved in Inscription Rock on Kelleys Island. Pictographic writings over 500 years old are etched in this massive limestone boulder. The Ottawa and Huron were eventually moved out by European settlers. The War of 1812 ended the last Indian threat to the European settlement of Ohio. One decisive naval battle of that war was fought in Put-In-Bay, off the shores of South Bass Island. Oliver Hazard Perry with an inferior fleet defeated the British making famous his saying, "We have met the enemy and they are ours". The victory gave the Americans control of Lake Erie and led to the ultimate defeat of the British in that war.
The islands remained sparsely settled until 1854 when J.D. Rivers purchased five of the islands. At first he turned Put-In-Bay into a sheep ranch, having at one time a herd of 2,000, but eventually he converted the island into a fruit farm. Despite the extreme northern location, the islands have the longest frost-free period of any area in Ohio due to the stabilizing effect of the lake.
It soon became apparent to islanders that the cultivation of grapes was very profitable. The grape culture has had a dramatic influence on the islands, sometimes called the "Wine Islands". By 1887, more than one-third of the grape product and nearly one-half of the wine product of the entire state was credited to this area. Wines from these islands were once pronounced by the best judges as being comparable to the best productions of France. Several island wineries still exist today.
In addition to raising fruits, the islands supported other profitable industries. Logging of red cedar, quarrying for limestone and the propagation of fish provided additional means of support.
For over a century, South Bass Island has been famous as a summer resort. Ruins of the Victory Hotel, destroyed by fire in 1919, are still evident. Tourism thrives today making the islands one of the most popular vacation spots in the state. The five areas comprising Lake Erie Island state parks were added to the state park system in the early 1950s.
Four launch ramps provide access to Lake Erie. Canoes and kayaks may launch from the cobblestone beach. The cobblestone beach is located along the shoreline near the shelterhouse.
A fishing pier provides access to the lake where yellow perch, smallmouth bass, white bass, channel catfish and walleye are dominant species. A valid Ohio fishing license is required.
Two picnic areas with modern restrooms are available. A shelterhouse can be reserved online or by calling (866) 644-6727.
Under the proper conditions, park visitors can enjoy ice skating and ice fishing.
Saturday, Jun 19, 2021 at 2:00pm Eastern Time
Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 1:00pm Eastern Time
Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:00am Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR