Rumors of an army camp began circulating as early as December of 1940. The headline story "Centreville Centreville Rumored Site For Army CampRumored Site For Army Camp" appeared in the December 13th issue of the Centreville Jeffersonian. About this time the Homochitto National Forest was rumored as being a proposed site of an army training camp.
On February 25, 1942, one year after the first rumors of an army camp began, the contract was let to Solomon & Kies of Troy, New York to lay out and supervise the construction of an army training camp.
The Woodville Republican reported in an article dated July 4, 1942 that the name selected for this army General Earl Van Dorncamp would be "Camp Van Dorn". Major General Earl Van Dorn, for whom the camp was to be named, was born September 17, 1820 had roots in Port Gibson, Mississippi.
Army units departed Camp Van Dorn as the war ended. Camp Van Dorn was declared surplus October 1, 1945, less than 3 years after men began training there. In April 1947 former landowners were able to re-purchase their land.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR