Brookville Public Library
919 Main Street
The mission of the Franklin County Public Library District is to provide a friendly public service through the programs, facilities and materials which help the residents of the district obtain information meeting their personal, educational, professional and leisure needs. The purpose of the libraries is to collect, maintain and disseminate information with special emphasis on stimulating the community's interest and appreciation for reading and learning. The Franklin County public libraries strive to provide a foundation for building a literate community.
The Brookville Public Library was built in 1912 with monies from Andrew Carnegie. John Shirk, along with several community leaders, wrote a letter requesting $10,000 from Mr. Carnegie to build the library. The library served the town of Brookville. The library continued to grow through the years. In 1998 the library district expanded to include 4 townships the Brookville library needed to enlarge. In 2003 the Brookville library addition and renovation was completed. Money for the project was given through a fund set up through the Brookville Foundation and local resident Receda Schilling. Money was also given from the Lilly Gift III funds.
The library district continues to grow. We added 2 more townships in 2006. On April 21, 2008, the County Commissioners voted to expand the library district to include all un served townships in Franklin County. The Library Board voted to change our district name from Whitewater Valley Public Library District to Franklin County Public Library District on May 20, 2008.