The Brian Head area has gone through many transitions since the Fremont tribe of Native Americans first discovered the area thousands of years ago. European shepherds and cattlemen who settled the area in 1851 used it as a summer grazing camp. Saw mills also operated in the Brian Head area beginning in the late 1800 ²s. Until the early 1900 ²s, a cheese factory was operated in the northeast section of the town. These early business people used the naturally pure water and cool summer nights of Brian Head to help create their products.
One of the most interesting parts of Brian Head history is its name. Brian Head was originally known as Monument Peak and was used by early surveyors and expedition leaders as a point of reference. One story claims that the famous explorer John Wesley Powell saw the peak above all the others and named it after an official in the Geographical Survey Office by the name of Bryan. Another story claims that the residents of Parowan changed the name in 1890 to Bryan Head in honor of the American politician, William Jennings Bryan.
Because of excellent, consistent snow conditions, Brian Head Resort was first opened for skiing in the winter of 1964/1965. Ten years later, in 1975, the area around the Resort was established as the Town of Brian Head. The Resort grew from its beginning as a one chair lift operation to a complete resort offering guests a diversity of skiing, snowboarding, tubing, night skiing, dining, mountain biking, hiking, a host of other activities, which of course involves just plain relaxing in the scenic beauty and pristine air. It's easy to understand why our guests and employees love Brian Head Resort.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR