21 South Main Street
Bradford had its first known settlers in 1765 and was widely known as the home of the Morgan Horse and the Bradford Strawberry, and was often hailed as "Bradford, the Beautiful".
In 1796 Bradford gained the honor and distinction of being the first town in Vermont in which a library was chartered.
In 1895 John L. Woods willed a sum of $15,000.00 to the Bradford Public Library. After purchasing the land for $500.00 the present day library was built. On July 4, 1895, the Woods Library was dedicated with proper ceremonies.
Lambert Packard designed the building along with the present day Richardson Block. Mr. Packard was sent to school by the famous Fairbanks family, who established the Fairbanks Museum.
We are very proud to have this beautiful library in our town and very thankful for the gift bestowed on us by Mr. J.L. Woods. As stated in the address at the dedication in 1895, Two sentiments dominate the day -- loyalty to the nation and love of learning. Our first duty is to acknowledge our obligation to the man to whose generous gift Bradford owes its first permanent library building.