Bettie M. Luke Muenster Public Library
418 North Elm Street
The mission of the Bettie M. Luke Muenster Public Library is to improve and to enhance the informational, educational, and recreational services to all adults and children in Muenster and the surrounding areas.
Muenster's Library was started in 1959 by the Catholic Daughters of America in the home of Julia Weinzapfel as a community project. The library changed locations several times before it moved to 113 N. Main St. in 1970.
In 1965, the library was adopted by the city, and a seven member board was appointed. In 1975, the library became an accredited member of the Texas State Library System. This required the library to have 10,000 items, a paid librarian, and to be opened 20 hours a week.
The community began fund raising for a new building in 1996. Construction began in June, 2000. The new building opened its doors for business on April 17, 2001. The building was completely paid for by community fund raisers and grants.