It all began 1895, when Miss Mabel Hill, Miss Harriet Anderson, Miss Harriet Huntress and Mr. Paul Holden began playing golf on some fields located east of the Maple Grove Cemetery. The the group employed Scottish Golf Pro Willie Campbell to construct a 9-hole course in 1896. Willie came to Concord by train from Brookline, Massachusetts, and did the job for the grand sum of $50.00. Soon, a permanent golf club was formed and, very shortly thereafter, the membership grew to 120. In 1899, the first club house was built.
Approximately 30 years later, in 1930, the private club portion moved across the Merrimack River and became the Concord Country Club. The City forefathers - left with the established course - simply voted to take it over, paying no heed to the fact that the Sewalls Falls Power and Electric Company owned the land. In 1954, when Don Sinn became the Concord Parks and Recreation Director, the legal indiscretion was discovered. The City Council rectified the 24 year old error and paid $6,000 to Sewalls Falls Power and Electric. Thereafter, federal funds became available and the City bought enough acreage from the New England Box Company for another nine holes.
In 1968, the golf course grew to the standard 18 holes, after renowned designer Geoffrey Cornish completed the layout. By 1975, the course's reputation had grown and the Beaver Meadow Golf Course hosted the State men's amateur tournament that year.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR