On April 12,1951 the Beaumont Council of Garden Clubs consisting of garden clubs, plant societies, and nature oriented organizations was formed with the goal of obtaining and sustaining a public garden center. In 1968 the City added a portion of Tyrrell Park for this purpose. The Beaumont Garden Center Building was constructed using bricks from the Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Station, and it was dedicated on August 20, 1971. Construction was funded by the Garden Club Council through fund-raisers such as the Christmas House Tours initiated in 1964.
A master plan for the gardens was designed and adopted in 1972. Identification and labeling of the trees, vines and shrubs was begun. In 1977 the first section of the "Friendship Walk", a concrete path through the garden area was poured. The Fragrance Garden for the Handicapped was dedicated in 1978. The "Garden Room", public rest rooms and a storage area were added to the main building in 1980, again largely funded by the Garden Club Council. The first Spring Tour of Private Gardens was held in May 1986 as a second fund-raiser. The ensuing years brought a number of garden projects by different groups.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR