1100 Seventh Street
Library History :
The Bay City Public Library originated in 1912. The early history of the library indicates local citizens contributed their time, efforts and money toward the operations and improvements of the library. In 1958, the Bay City Gas Board built a new building for the library because it had outgrown its previous quarters. Excess space in the building was leased to Southwestern Bell and this source of income helped the library operate without on-going assistance from the city or county until the library expanded into the additional space in 1979. The Bay City Library opened a branch in Matagorda in 1989 and a branch in Sargent in 1992. The Bay City Gas Company provided funds in 1992 to purchase the building originally occupied by the Bay City Federal Savings and Loan. An intensive capital fundraising effort was undertaken to provide the funds for renovation of the building and for interior furnishings and equipment. The new library at 1100 Seventh Street opened its doors October 25, 1993.