215 Sumner Avenue
The Avalon library was established in February of 1914.
Led by the Mary Williams Club (now the Santa Catalina Woman's Club), and the Avalon Chamber of Commerce the townspeople came together to meet the offer that Los Angeles County presented to them "if the citizens could provide furniture, shelves, a space and volunteers to run it", Los Angeles County would furnish the books.
In February 1914, the first L.A. County Public Library "overseas branch", opened at the Grandview Hotel with 196 books, courtesy of the County, the number doubled by that summer.
In November 1915, a raging fire destroyed most of the town, including the library. H.W. Allen managed to salvage 100 books which he stored in his home until a new quarters could be found for the library.