111 East 12th Street
In the early 1900s, Andrew Carnegie donated $50,000 to build Anderson Public Library at the corner of Tenth and Jackson streets. The city's only Neo-classical structure (completed in 1905) includes extraordinary craftsmanship such as oak fireplaces, a stained glass rotunda, classic columns, marble stairway, and special lighting. In the late 1980s, the library board of trustees recognized the need for more space and for anticipated growth of services, so they selected a Sears & Roebuck building (former site of the Main Street School) with 95,000 square feet at 12th Street and Central Avenue. Following extensive renovation, the building opened in 1987. APL serves more than 1,000 people a day and offers more than a quarter of a million resources.