The dream to build the Anaconda Country Club came to fruition in 1915 as an 18 hole, sand green facility. It took 3 years to build and contour fairways and greens. It officially opened in 1917 and hosted it’s first state tournament in 1922. The Anaconda Company owned a copper smelter in Anaconda, Montana and built the course for it’s employees. The club house consisted of a dining room, kitchen, bar, pro shop and apartment. In 1954, members decided to plant grass greens and reduce the number of holes to nine to keep costs in check. Within 30 days of the idea, the money was raised, the greens were built, and seeding started. The new green opened for play on August 29, 1954. The Anaconda Company maintained the course and the club house until the company closed in 1981 and turned the club over to it’s membership in 1982. Before the club was transferred, local county residents were allowed to golf a maximum of 3 times as non-members. In approximately 1990, the club went semi-private and allowed non-members of Deer Lodge County to unlimited golf when paying green fees.
Over the years, the amenities of the course have matured with over 50 cottonwoods, willow and pine trees not to mention the ponds and creek running through the course. Since it became a semi-private club, the club’s operation has been overseen by a board of directors. Several golf pros have served their time in making the Anaconda Country Club a great place to golf. Ken Blume has served as the Course Superintendent for the past 11 years. Mark Torney, current PGA professional, has been with the club for 20 years. Through their ability and leadership, they have helped make the Anaconda Country Club a repeat destination and has made the ’19th’ Hole a fun place to be.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR