Acadian Landing Site Located in St. David Parish, Madawaska, Maine, the Acadian Landing Site is a National Register property that commemorates the landing of the first Acadian settlers in the upper St. John Valley.
Acadian Cross Historic Shrine, a 14 foot marble cross represents the first cross erected in 1785 by the first Acadians settlers who set foot in the valley after canoeing up the St. John River. The cross represents their gratitude for their safe haven and a land of their own. Today some religious and ceremonial services are occasionally held at the site. It is owned by the Madawaska Historical Society.
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR