Every 2 seconds, someone’s identity is stolen. And it’s not hard to imagine, given all the data breaches in the news lately. Combating fraud and identity theft is a priority for AARP New York and that is why we are launching Operation: Stop Scams.
“Identity theft is one of the most prevalent types of fraud encountered by people age 50 and over,” said Beth Finkel, State Director of AARP New York. “By doing something as simple as shredding their documents, New Yorkers can safeguard their identity along with their hard earned credit rating and retirement savings from unscrupulous thieves.
To avoid having your sensitive information compromised, security experts recommend shredding of the following types of materials:
- Old documents: Papers that carry your Social Security number, birth date, signature, account numbers, passwords or PINs.
- Banking: Canceled or unused checks. Shred deposit slips and ATM and credit card receipts, once you receive your monthly statements.
- Credit Cards: Preapproved credit card applications and incentive/gift checks from credit card companies.
- Medical: unneeded medical bills.
- Investments: Investment account statements.
- Obsolete ID cards: Expired driver’s licenses, medical insurance cards, and passports.
Operation Stop Scams events are being held across New York State, find one near you below. And for those consumers who use a home shredder, experts also recommend the use of a micro-cut model. Tests have shown that the scraps of paper from a straight or cross-cut shredder can be reassembled by identity thieves. With a micro-cut shredder, the paper is rendered into impossible-to-reassemble debris.
Join us for us a free shredding event. Each person can bring up to three grocery bags of personal documents. Residential documents only. Trucks will stay on site for the time scheduled or until the truck fills up.
New York City:
- Manhattan (Chelsea): June 5, 1pm–7pm (*or until shredding truck reaches capacity), Penn South Cooperative West 26th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues
- Flushing: April 19, 9am-12pm, Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd. Flushing, New York 11354
- Staten Island: April 19, 2018, 11:00am-2:00pm, HKC Campgrounds, 1131 Manor Road, Staten Island, New York 10314
- Bronx: April 21, 2018, 12pm-3pm, Eastchester Church of God, 3020 Eastchester Road, Bronx, New York 10469 (Join us from noon to 1 p.m. for the opportunity to meet New York Yankees alumnus Bernie Williams!)
- Brooklyn: April 25, 2018, 2pm-5pm, Glory of God Christian Center, 5910 Foster Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11234
- Manhattan (Harlem): April 28, 2018, 9am-12pm, Esplanade Gardens, 2569 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. New York, New York 10039
- Albany: April 17, 2018, 10am-1pm, Sidney Albert Albany Jewish Community Center, 340 Whitehall Rd., Albany, New York 12208
- Orchard Park: April 19, 2018, 9am-12pm, Chestnut Ridge County Park, 6121 Chestnut Ridge Rd., Orchard Park, New York 14127
- Syracuse: April 20, 2018, 9am-12pm, Destiny USA Mall, 9090 Destiny USA Dr. Syracuse, NY 13204
- Kingston: April 21, 2018, 10:00am-4:00pm Forsyth Park 157 Lucas Ave. Kingston, NY 12401
- Rochester: April 26, 2018, 9am-12pm, Panorama Plaza, 1601 Penfield Rd., Rochester, NY 14625
- Ravena: June 16, 2018, 10am-1pm, Village of Ravena Municipal Building 15 Mountain Road, Ravena, NY 12143
- Deer Park: April 22, 2018, 10am-12pm, Deer Park Library 44 Lake Avenue, Deer Park, NY 11729
- Garden City: April 22, 2018, 2pm-4pm, Garden City Library 60 7th Street, Garden City, NY 11530
- Freeport: April 24, 2018, 10am-1pm, Freeport Recreation Center 130 East Merrick Road, Freeport, NY 11520
- Brentwood: April 29, 2018, 12:30pm-3:30pm, Brentwood Public Library 34 Second Avenue, Brentwood, NY 11717
- New Hyde Park: May 5, 2018, 10am, Parking lot of Clinton G Martin Park 1650 Marcus Avenue, New Hyde Park
- Huntington Station: May 6, 2018, 2pm-4pm, South Huntington Public Library 145 Pidgeon Hill Road, Huntington Station, NY 11746
- Oyster Bay: June 3, 2018, 1pm-3pm, Oyster Bay – East Norwich Public Library 89 E Main St, Oyster Bay, NY 11771
- Nesconset: June 9, 2018, 10am-12pm, 127 12 Smithtown Blvd. Nesconset, NY 11767
- Long Beach: June 10, 2018, 11am-1pm, Lido Middle School 239 Lido Blvd, Long Beach, NY 11561
Shredding services will be performed by a third party. All documents and information provided for shredding are subject to that party’s privacy and informational security policies.
More information on how to keep safe from identity theft fraud, and alerts regarding other types of scams, is available from the Fraud Watch Network.