At AARP, we envision a world where workers aged 50-plus are empowered, valued and have the opportunity to create new business and work for as long as they need or desire. For many small business owners and entrepreneurs, it is cluttered, competitive, can be difficult to navigate, and does not offer the unique guidance and resources that they need. As people live longer lives and the nature of work evolved, they will need to find ways to continually reskill and translate experience to new jobs and careers.
Owning or starting your own small business means finding solutions to unexpected challenges by leveraging life experience, professional skills and dedication. Many 50+ entrepreneurs can launch and thrive as small business owners with the right training and resources.
That’s why AARP New York is proud to present New York’s Small Business Development Center at Farmingdale State College Virtual Workshops this May/June and September/October. These sessions consist of invaluable expertise on optimizing digital marketing, executing a social media strategy, and efficient financial planning.
We look forward to supporting new and existing businesses as they learn how to start, grow and succeed as entrepreneurs. AARP members and guests are invited to join us on any of the workshops offered below. Please register to reserve your spot!
Workshop Dates and Descriptions:
* Note: All workshops will be presented virtually Thursdays, through a Google Meet from 11:00am – 12:00pm and will last one hour. We invite you to participate in some or all of what we are offering!
1. Spring Your Business into Action for a Successful Start!
• May 6, 2021: Business Basics - Evaluating Best Business Practices
Understanding the different legal structures, tax requirements, record keeping, and employer obligations will be discussed to ensure you have all the information you need to open a business and understand the required steps to become a legal entity.
• May 13, 2021: Writing a Business Plan – Why do you Need it
An overview of all the necessary aspects to include in a business plan will be discussed. Details of information to include will be shared and participants will have all the necessary information on how to develop a comprehensive plan to ensure a successful start of their business.
• May 20, 2021: Marketing Analysis / Marketing Strategy
Marketing analysis is an important aspect of a comprehensive business plan. This session will focus in-depth on the customer, competition, and marketing strategies that need to be implemented to build a solid foundation for a successful business. Advertising, appropriate use of social media, web presence, branding, networking and strategic alliances will all be discussed.
• May 27, 2021: Financial Planning & Financial best practices
Preparing financial budgets is key to ensure financial health and profit. The webinar will provide an in-depth review of record keeping and working with a CPA. You will learn what tax laws can benefit your business, your bottom line and prepare you for a stronger business and financial future.
• June 3, 2021: Marketing Series: From Networking to Brand Development to Your Digital Footprint. Networking to Build, Grow and Brand your Business
Do you want to accelerate your business growth? It's time to get out and connect, business to business. It's time to NETWORK!! Learn the secrets to using this valuable tool to propel you forward to success and increase your brand awareness.
• June 10, 2021: Embracing Your Inner Salesperson Workshop
Sales: to some, the mere concept brings up immediate discomfort and negative stereotypes. Chances are, unless your title includes Sales, you don’t consider yourself a salesperson. Today’s changing times means it is critical for everyone to embrace a sales mindset.
In this workshop you will embrace your inner salesperson which includes:
• A mindset that keeps you goal oriented, focused and resilient
• The ability to influence with sincerity while building trust
• The comfort to initiate new relationships and find new prospects
• Processes to check your emotional temperature during negotiations
• A self -awareness practice to bypass procrastination and jumpstart your energy
• June 17, 2021: Digital Marketing Workshop
In this workshop we'll discuss:
• The Importance of your Logo!
• How to Claim & Optimize Your Google My Business Map Listing
• Why On-Line Reviews are Important!
• Your Website - Is it User/Mobile Friendly and Convertible?
• How to Utilize Google to Increase Your Market Share
• June 24, 2021: You've Got a Social Media Account: Now What?
You finally set up a social media account or two for your business, but have no idea what to do next. This session will walk you through how each major social channel works, what to write about and how to make your social communications work to spread the word about your business.
In this workshop we'll:
• Take a closer look at the popular social media networks - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest.
• Look at the benefits of using each.
• Understand how other organizations and retailers are marketing with them.
• Check out the do's and don’ts of each channel.
• Determine if your social media activity is working.
We hope to connect with you virtually at one or all of these workshops!
*Feel free to bookmark this blog for upcoming Fall workshops in September and October 2021.
Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11:00am Eastern Time
Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 3:00pm Eastern Time
Friday, May 7, 2021 at 11:00am Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR