An AARP poll released October 1 shows more than two-thirds of voters age 50 and older in Texas’ Seventh Congressional District believe Congress should strengthen Medicare and Social Security, address rising prescription drug costs, and strengthen and support family caregivers.
“With Election Day less than 50 days away, candidates in the Seventh Congressional District would be wise to listen to the state’s most powerful voting group: those age 50 and older,” said Bob Jackson, AARP Texas director. “History shows older voters turn out in force. These voters care about issues like Medicare, like Social Security, like keeping drug costs manageable, and like getting help as they care for aging family members.”
The poll results showed:
• 85 percent of 50-plus voters think Medicare is very important for people’s health in retirement, and 85 percent agree Congress should make changes to ensure the program can continue to cover hospital benefits as it does now beyond 2029.
• 77 percent believe it is unfair to deny coverage or make those with pre-existing conditions pay more for their health care.
• 77 percent do not agree with allowing insurance companies to charge older people up to five times more for health insurance.
• 69 percent feel that candidates’ positions on rising prescription drug costs are very important to them, and 66 percent believe drug companies have a lot of influence over members of Congress.
• 75 percent say Social Security is very important for financial security in retirement, and 65 percent believe the government should do something immediately to strengthen Social Security.
• 87 percent support providing an income tax credit to family caregivers.
Alan Newman Research conducted this poll. In all, 611 voters age 50 and older were surveyed from September 6 to September 20. The poll has a margin of error of 4 percent. You can view the full survey results here.
AARP does not endorse candidates or make contributions to political parties, political campaigns or candidates.
For more information, go to aarp.org/vote.
Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 9:00am
Mexican American Cultural Center
Friday, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:30am
Austin Central Library
Friday, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:30am
Austin Public Library - North Village Branch
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR