We know that it takes time to build great communities. But, we also believe that quick action can spark longer-term progress. AARP launched the AARP Community Challenge in 2017 to fund projects that build momentum to improve livability for all. We are excited to announce the program is back in 2020 for its 4th year and is currently accepting applications through the April 1st deadline.
The Community Challenge is open to 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(6) nonprofits and government entities. Other types of organizations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Grants can range from several hundred dollars for small, short-term activities to several thousand or tens of thousands for larger projects.
The program will accept applications for projects in the following categories:
· *New in 2020* Increase civic engagement with innovative and tangible projects that bring residents and local leaders together to address challenges and facilitate a greater sense of community inclusion and diversity;
· Create vibrant public places through permanent or temporary solutions that activate open spaces, improve parks and enhance access to amenities;
· Deliver a range of transportation and mobility options through permanent or temporary solutions that increase walkability, bikeability, wayfinding, access to transportation options and roadway improvements;
· Support the availability of a range of housing through permanent or temporary solutions that increase accessible and affordable housing options;
· Demonstrate the tangible value of “Smart Cities” by developing and implementing innovative programs that engage residents in accessing, understanding and using data and participating in decision-making to increase quality of life for all; and
· Other innovative projects to improve the community.
“We are thrilled to bring this grant opportunity back to Pennsylvania in 2020 and we encourage all eligible organizations to apply,” said Bill Johnston-Walsh, AARP PA State Director. “We’ve seen tangible results from the AARP Community Challenge grant program supporting communities in Pennsylvania as they make quick changes and inspire long-term progress.”
Since 2017, the AARP Community Challenge has funded 376 projects nationwide.
The application deadline for 2020 AARP Community Challenge grants is Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 11:59 p.m. ET. All projects must be completed by Monday, November 9, 2020.
For more information or to apply, visit AARP.org/CommunityChallenge.
This story is provided by AARP Pennsylvania. Visit the AARP Pennsylvania page for more news, events, and programs affecting retirement, health care, and more.
Thursday, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern Time
Friday, Jun 5, 2020 at 8:00pm Eastern Time
Thursday, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:00pm Eastern Time
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR