Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 11:00am
Open Fields will hold its Medieval Festival on the Thetford Green. During this annual family-friendly festival, the Green comes alive with the sights and sounds of a Medieval village. A King & Queen, knights and ladies, peasants, craftsmen, shepherds, and farmers gather to celebrate the age via music, dance, games of skill and chance, food, parades, storytelling, Benny the Dragon, and feats of juggling and acrobatics. Costumes are encouraged.
The 2019 Open Fields Medieval Festival will feature the talents of the No Strings Marionette Company, as well as other performers and musicians.
Our Medieval Festival is family-focused, with an emphasis on children ages 3 to 12, and is a wonderful community event. It is also a green event - in the past, our full day festival has generated only one bag of trash.
The Medieval Festival is a Rain or Shine event. The No String Marionette performance is held indoors, and our village has plenty of tents which house activities.
Fun for Kids
The Festival caters to families with children of all ages and features fun, hands-on activities and entertainment.
Celebrate the age in costume! Costumes and accessories are available to purchase at the festival or wear your own.
See demonstrations of traditional crafts by local artists and buy souvenirs of your journey to the Middle Ages.
Enjoy signature Festival foods or discover something new at one of our food booths, including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices.
This year, look for the baby goats!
All manners of lively entertainment fill the Green, including the No Strings Marionette Company.
Throughout the festival, you'll have the opportunity to see a variety of entertainment, including theatrical performances, musicians, dancers, puppetry, acrobatics and more.
- The No Strings Marionette Company presents THE TREASURE HUNT. Two Performances at 12:45 pm and 3:00 pm on a first-come, first-serve basis.
About No Strings Marionette Company: Puppeteers Dan Baginski and Barbara Paulson have toured America together for over sixteen years. With puppeteers in full view, the audience sees how the puppets are brought to life. These Vermont artisans lovingly hand craft the marionettes, props and scenery, whether for an original tale or an adaptation of a classic. Shows begin with an interactive song featuring audience members, and finish with demonstrations sparked by the audiences' curious questions. Learn more about the No Strings Marionette Company at www.NoStringsVT.com.
- Simon Brooks, Storyteller returns to the festival this year. An award-winning storyteller, originally from England, Simon will entrance and enthrall audiences of all ages with his fanciful tales! 2:00 pm.
- Procession of the King and Queen: The festival opens with revelry as the King and Queen of the Kingdom of Open Fields arrive at our village with pomp, splendor, and a parade of royal proportions! 11:00 am.
- Dragon Mountain Kung Fu Demonstration:Sensei Aaron Hoopes captivates audiences with this demonstration by Dragon Mountain Fung Fu. Time: 12:30 pm. Learn more about Aaron Hoopes at Zen Yoga.
- St. George and the Dragon Mummers Play performed by the Open Fields Children's Mummers in a special performance for the King and Queen at 11:20 am.
- Maypole Dance: We invite you to join the children of Open Fields to dress the maypole in classic English fashion.
- Bellydancing Performances from Raq On Studio: Fun, Unique, Family-Oriented Entertainment! See the amazing dancers of Raq On Dance Studio in White River Junction as they present bellydancing solos and group performances with a unique blend of elegance, *****, panach, grace and style. Performance time: 12:00 pm.
- Doug Coughlin, Court Jester: Let Doug entertain you with juggling, clowning and more! A Hanover native, Doug Coughlin is known for his one-man variety shows of magic, juggling, clowning and original family comedy.
- Stocks, Pillory and Catapult Demos: Don't get on the wrong side of our Sheriff or you could find yourself in the Stocks or Pillory! We'll also hold a Catapult demonstration at 3:10 pm so you can see how a real-life catapult works.
- Benny the Dragon: Come see Benny, a most amazing dragon who is known to wander through the Kingdom of Open Fields.
- Rufus, the Mud Beggar: What exactly is a mud beggar, you say? Come find out! Covered from head to toe with mud, Rufus will entertain you with his clever antics, word play, droll self-mockery, and musical talents on the recorder.
- Face Painting, Hair Braiding and more!
Click here for Admission: http://medfest.openfields.org/admission.php
Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:30pm
Westview Meadows - Ext 4
Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 9:00am
Irwin Automotive Group
Wednesday, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:00am
Godnick Adult Center
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR