Thursday, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:30am
Please call before attending any community events. It is likely that they will be postponed or canceled as a result of the coronavirus. You can find CDC coronavirus information at cdc.gov/coronavirus; AARP has additional resources at aarp.org/coronavirus.
With Iwona Przonak, Illinois Attorney General's Office
Come learn about how to protect yourself from various scams and how the Illinois Attorney General's office can help mediate unfair billing and consumer complaints.
Iwona Przonak, Community Outreach Liaison for the Illinois Office of the Attorney General, will discuss how to avoid being victimized by the top five consumer scams: Imposter, Health Care (Medicare Scam, etc.), Charity, Home Repair Fraud, and Online/Marketing Scams, in addition to Identity Theft.
She will also describe the different divisions and programs within the agency:
- Crime Victims Assistance Program (compensation for victims)
- Health Care Bureau / Helpline (unfair billing, denials of coverage, etc.)
- Consumer Protection Bureau (consumer complaints/free mediation process)
- Public Utilities Bureau (Alternative Energy Suppliers)
- Disability Rights Bureau
- Workforce Rights
- Charity Trust Bureau (Investigate before you donate.)
- Help with Student Loans; Internet Safety for Students & more.
Location: Meeting Room
AARP will host a weekly live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursday at 1 pm (ET). Please join us each week for the latest information on the Coronavirus.Read More »
JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR