AARP Wellness Mondays- Join Award Winning Chef M from Latin House Grill and the Food Networks Chopped as he takes you to the Isla Del Encanto with this beautiful Vegan twist on a Puerto Rican favorite Stuffed Canoe Maduros (Plantains). If you want to cook alongside Chef M here is a list of ingredients and the recipe.
-Frozen Baked Riped Whole Plantains
-2 Cups of chopped mushrooms
-1 cup chopped onions
- 5oz Soy Chorizo
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Vegan Cheese
-Sea Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Fresh Cilantro & chopped tomatoes for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven at 350, Bake 2-3 Whole plantains for 8 min. Take out and let them cool off.
2. Sauteed the Mushroom in oil over a medium heat and cook until they sweat out the liquid, then add the diced onion, continue cooking until onion is transparent. Then add the garlic and the soy chorizo, stir everything together.
3. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Turn off the flame.
4. Place the plantain canoes in a baking dish, make a vertical slit/cut down the middle, careful not to cut through the bottom. They should look like little canoes.
5. Fill/stuff the inside of the plantain canoes with the mushroom mix and top with shredded vegan cheese.
6. Place in the oven, cook for 10 min.
7. Garnish with Cilantro and fresh chopped tomatoes
8. Serve with white rice and greens.