The Strand Bookstore Turned 90!
Do you love to read? Have you ever visited the famous NYC bookstore, The Strand? Well if you have or if you haven’t, stop by sometime during this very special year – The Strand turned 90! As part of the celebration, The Strand is asking customers to submit their photos from the last 90 years.
In addition to books, The Strand has fascinating literary events hosted by an array of talented guest speakers and performers every night of the week and a large collection of literary gifts (including everything from coffee mugs to the popular The Strand onesie). However, most impressively, they have over 2.5 million used, new and rare books!
The Strand was opened in 1927 by 25 year old entrepreneur and book lover Ben Bass. Named after a street in London that was known as a place where legendary writers flourished, it has certainly grown into its name. The Strand has become a popular must-visit landmark for people of all ages and all places, and book lovers and non-book lovers alike!
Fun facts about The Strand:
- They have over 18 miles of books!
- They used to be on Fourth Avenue, as part of the famous “Book Row” (and they’re the only bookstore from “Book Row” to have survived to this day)
- They have a first-edition copy of James Joyce’s “Ulysses”, signed by the author himself and illustrated by Henri Matisse, which goes for $40,000
- As a part of the hiring process, applicants have to take a literary quiz
- The founder’s son (and current owner) Fred Bass turns 90 this year too!
So if you haven’t been to The Strand yet, make it a point to head over this year and check out the famed bookstore! And for those of you who have been to The Strand? Stop by too to help them celebrate a great 90 years (and besides, you can never have too many books)!
Tell Us WhatYou Think
FIND IT FAST
JOIN OR RENEW
- JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR
- Immediate access to your member benefits
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to the award-winning AARP The Magazine
- An ally on the issues that matter most to you in New York
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
- JOIN/RENEW NOW