Mayoral Debate Spotlights Livability in San Antonio
As municipal elections draw nearer, San Antonians want to know where their candidates stand on issues that directly affect them—from safe sidewalks and streets all the way to age-friendly efforts throughout the community.
The debate, hosted by GA Media and sponsored by AARP, will feature mayoral candidates: San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor, District 8 City Councilman Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Democratic Party Chairman Manuel Medina.
Livability and making San Antonio age-friendly will be the focus of the debate.
In 2014, the Alamo City joined the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, a group committed to improving environmental, social and economic factors that influence the health and well-being of older adults. Well-designed, livable communities promote health and sustain economic growth because they make for happier, healthier residents—of all ages.
According to an AARP survey, the most important features of an age-friendly community to San Antonians are: health care services; housing that supports independent living; and safe streets and sidewalks.
The mayoral debate between the three candidates will focus on foundational questions such as:
- What would you do to encourage housing that helps aging San Antonians stay in their communities?
- San Antonio has committed to become a place where people of all ages and abilities can thrive. How would you advance this work?
- How would you increase civic engagement and ensure that San Antonians can actively help shape their communities?
Join AARP and GA Media at Palo Alto College’s performing arts center on Tuesday, April 11, at 10:30 AM to learn where our mayoral candidates stand on issues like mobility, housing and transportation. The mayoral debate is free and open to the public. Attendees will get a chance to write their own questions on notecards to be submitted to the moderator. An optional RSVP is requested to help us plan, but it is not required to attend.
Can’t make the debate? It will also be streamed live on the AARP Texas Facebook page.
Tell Us WhatYou Think
FIND IT FAST
JOIN OR RENEW
- JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR
- Immediate access to your member benefits
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to the award-winning AARP The Magazine
- An ally on the issues that matter most to you in San Antonio
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
- JOIN/RENEW NOW