Identity Theft and Fraud: We’re Shred Up
FREE Paper Shredding in Gladstone
We all can agree that privacy and protection are key to living a meaningful and fulfilling life, yet as Americans that privacy and protection are under attack. A recent study revealed that in 2016 alone, $16 billion dollars from over 15 million American consumers was lost to identity fraud. Join AARP Kansas City staff and volunteers as we host a FREE paper shredding event Saturday, June 24th (2017) at the Gladstone Community Center from 9 a.m. to Noon. Together we can help fight fraud and strengthen our community!
One common strategy that identity thieves use when committing fraud is searching through dumpsters and trash cans, hoping to find confidential information. Security experts recommend shredding sensitive documents such as:
- Old documents: Papers that carry your Social Security number, birth date, signature, account numbers, passwords or PINs.
- Banking: Canceled or unused checks. Shred deposit slips and ATM and credit card receipts, once you receive your monthly statements.
- Credit Cards: Preapproved credit card applications and incentive/gift checks from credit card companies.
- Medical: unneeded medical bills.
- Investments: Investment account statements.
- Obsolete ID cards: Expired driver’s licenses, medical insurance cards, and passports.
Bring your sensitive documents to Gladstone Community Center on Saturday, June 24th to enjoy the benefit of free shredding and learn more about ways to prevent identity fraud. There is a limit of two grocery sacks (or two banker’s boxes) worth of paper per person, and no cardboard or electronics will be accepted for shredding. For a map of the Gladstone Community Center, click here.
To see what AARP is doing to help you ensure the safety of your identity and how you can keep yourself safe from identity fraud through regular scam alerts and additional information, visit the Fraud Watch Network. If you think you might be a victim of a fraud or scam, contact the AARP Foundation Fraud Fighter Call Center toll-free at 1-800-646-2283.
Tell Us WhatYou Think
FIND IT FAST
JOIN OR RENEW
- JOIN FOR JUST $16 A YEAR
- Immediate access to your member benefits
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to the award-winning AARP The Magazine
- An ally on the issues that matter most to you in Kansas City
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
- JOIN/RENEW NOW